Friday, October 24, 2014
"Horrifying alien invaders from an unknown planet, with giant brains that glow in the dark!" They were the Micronauts Alien Invaders, released by Mego in 1980, shortly before the company went out of business. They were evil aliens with cybernetic weapons implanted onto their limbs, turning them in to living killing machines. Let's take a look at these terrifying Space Invaders after the break!
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Sundry Monday! Uncle Gilbert from Diamond Select's The Munsters, Plus the Collect and Connect Staircase
Monday, October 20, 2014
Week 4 of my Countdown to Halloween begins now! This week's theme is "BEYOND THE STARS AND BENEATH THE WAVES: A Week of Space Monsters and Sea Creatures!" When it comes to space monsters, you don't get much more spacemonstier than this: it's The Metaluna Mutant by Diamond Select, from the Universal picture "This Island Earth." Let's go!
Sunday, October 19, 2014
Vintage Friday! Moltar, "The Prince of Chaos" from Remco's The Saga of Crystar Action Figures (1982)
This is going to be the final post for week 3 of my Countdown to Halloween. This week's theme has been HALF HUMAN, HALF HORROR: Vampires, Werewolves, Apemen and More, a Week of Human Beings Crossed With Horrible Things! I've been focusing on half human, half animals all week, but this guy's a little different, he's half man, half lava! It's Moltar, the Prince of Chaos and Leader of the Magma Men, from Remco's The Saga of Crystar Action figure line. Let's check him out after the break in this bonus, non-Friday edition of Vintage Fridays!
This week's playlist is "Half Human, Half Horror: Vampires, Werewolves, Apemen and More! A Playlist of Human Beings Crossed With Horrible Things." It's divided up in sections for the type of monster below, but the playlist itself runs together.
ARE WE NOT MEN?
- (Sound Effects - Wild Animal Sounds)
- Elastica - See That Animal
- The Germs - Manimal
- Butthole Surfers - Human Cannonball
- The Cramps - Human Fly
- Elastica - Only Human
- The Kills - Cat Claw
- Cindy Nahaeeka - Cat Wants Cheese
- Godz - White Cat Heat
- The Cure - The Lovecats
- Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven
- The BellRays - Monkey House
- Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters - Monkey Man
- Does It Offend You, Yeah? - The Monkeys Are Coming
- Nirvana - Very Ape
- Frankenstein and the All-Star Monster Band - Who are the Casual Girls (in a Vampire Video Game)
- Gorillaz - Dracula
- Meco - Love Me Dracula
- Hot Blood - Soul Dracula
- Total Coelo - Dracula's Tango
- Arctic Monkeys - Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But...
- Screaming Lord Sutch - Dracula's Daughter
- Roky Erickson & the Aliens - Night of the Vampire
- Guitar Wolf - Planet Of The Wolves
- TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
- The Nomads - Where the Wolf Bane Blooms
- The Born Losers - Werewolves On Wheels
- Radiohead - A Wolf At The Door (It Girl. Rag Doll)
- Lee Kristofferson - Night of the Werewolf
- The Cramps - I Was a Teenage Werewolf
- Howlin' Wolf - I'm the Wolf
- Southern Culture On The Skids - Werewolf
- Round Robin - I'm the Wolfman
- Swans - The Wolf
- Vincent Price - To Become A Werewolf
Saturday, October 18, 2014
I was pretty excited about The Wolfman, Universal's 2010 remake of it's classic 1941 horror movie The Wolf Man. But then the movie came out, and got pretty bad reviews and word of mouth. I still wanted to see it to judge for myself, but I kept letting it getting pushed back in my queue in favor of other flicks. But it's directed by the same guy who directed The Rocketeer and Captain America: The First Avenger, so it should be good, right? I finally got around to watching it yesterday, only four years late! And you know what? I likes it! Is it a classic? No, not really, but it's still pretty darn good. I'll talk about it a bit after the break.
Friday, October 17, 2014
The Mini Monsters were a line of 3 3/4 inch officially licensed Universal Monsters action figures released by Remco in 1979. They are very similar to classic Kenner Star Wars figures and have the standard five points of articulation. Dracula originally came with a vinyl cape that was black on the outside and red on the inside, but my figure has a replacement cape of all black. The action figures joining Dracula in today's photo series are a vintage Kenner Princess Leia, Zica Toys' Six Million Dollar Man, and Funko ReAction's The Goonies Sloth. One note, my Dracula figure has a piece of paint chipped of off his nose, but I touched it up in the photos.
And now, on with "The Remco Dracula Picture Show..."