Sunday, October 7, 2018

Universal Studios Monsters "Dracula and Mummy" Vintage Action Figures - Placo Toys (1991)

Placo Toys Universal Studios Monsters Dracula and Mummy (1991)
In 1991, Placo Toys launched a new line of Universal Monsters action figures.  The first wave consisted of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, and The Wolf-Man.  More monsters like the Bride of Frankenstein and The Creature From the Black Lagoon were planned for a second wave, but apparently the first wave didn't sell well enough to warrant it.  The figures were 10 1/12 inches tall and featured very limited articulation, with swivel joints at the neck, shoulders, wrists, and waist, and no movement at all for the legs.  They are sculpted in a very generic, cartoony style, based on the Universal style guide of the time, with no attempt to be accurate to the films.   I was never very impressed with the photos of these I saw online, but I stumbled on these for very cheap on ebay recently, only paying about $8 for the set of The Mummy and Dracula.  At that price, I figured, why not?

A Face Only Your Mummy Could Love

In hand, I kind of like them more then I thought I would.  They have a solid, hefty chunkiness to them that feels good in my hands.  I could see a kid having fun playing with them and just bashing them around.  I don't really see them being a big part of my action figure collection, though.  Their 10 1/2 inch size doesn't match up with any of my other action figures.  I think these guys are going to become more of a Halloween decoration in my house, instead.

Dracula Features a Cloth Cape
Figures in Boxes
Monster Mash


Drac
Amazing Arm Swivel Action

More Mummy Face

Undead Shamble

Reach For the Sky

Drac Again

Mummy

Dracula



No comments:

Post a Comment